> Product Portfolio > Zephyr for JIRA - Software Test Case Enterprise Portal
This page is under construction and the new page will be live soon. For now, you may refer this for it's content.
Zephyr for JIRA is a test management and automation JIRA plugin which increases productivity and saves enterprise cost for software testing. Post revamping the product, it got acquired by SmartBear software which is another giant for application performance monitoring, software development, software testing and API management.
Product Role: UX Manager
Members Involved: Kent Lim (Sr. Director), Nirav Shah (Director), Sanjiv (Tech Lead), Spandan Das (Back-end Architect) and Others [from tech, design and business team]
Please NOTE: The purpose of this is purely to showcase portfolio. And by looking further down, you agree to Non-Disclosure agreement stated at the footer
Context for Scaling Zephyr for JIRA
GetZephyr as a company had two primary products:
• Zephyr (as a stand-alone product)
• Zephyr for JIRA (a JIRA marketplace plugin)
Both solved similar issues (test management and automation for software testing).
The birth of Zephyr for JIRA was to acquire customers through up-selling via JIRA marketplace.
Later, Zephyr for JIRA started having more organic prospects than Zephyr standalone. Later, when revenue started flowing higher than Zephyr standalone product, it became a separate entity within the parent brand Zephyr. The two products named as GetZephyr and Zephyr for JIRA.
Zephyr for JIRA had an average conversion rate of 20% for past 2 years in average (Prospects to Customers conversion).
The Prospect attrition rate was almost 70% (comparing with retention).
The Customer attrition rate was almost 5% (comparing with retention).
The customer grievance was 70% on usability and 20% on missing features (as per CX team's call traffic metric).
The scope was to improve the current product's usability and building the most prioritised missing feature to improve conversion and retention.
Product Goals and Metrics
The product goals merging with metrics are as follows:
• Increasing conversion rate (prospect to customer or direct customer) to 30% within first 3 months of release (excluding 1st month from metrics)
• Reducing customer grievance rate on usability to 2% within first 3 months of release (excluding 1st month from metrics)
• Increase in retention rate (no benchmark, since a lot of other factors are included - marketing and cost)
• Releasing the most important requested feature (post study on it's early release failure through GetZephyr standalone product).
Product Plan for Scaling Zephyr for JIRA
System KT and Use Study
There are four user personas for this product:
• Testers (the one who test the software products based on the assigned use cases)
• Test Leads (the one who creates the user cases and assigns it to the testers)
• Managers (the one who checks the efficiency and productivity of the team and projects)
• Directors (the one who checks the overall testing performance and mostly error passes)
Scaling of a product is an iterative process based on the customer response (in case of SAAS products) and based on data algo (in case of consumer products). And thus, the billing decided by the client was recurring in nature.
The SLAs and roadmap have been decided based on two kinds of requests.
• Customer Grievance Fixation (0.5 sprint/ 20 hours):
- Get monthly data from Customer Service Team
- Run through grievance analytics to identify the most
requested or critical fix
- Identify it as a 'bug' or 'improvement'
- Move 'bugs' for QA team to fix through dev team
- Move improvement to Grievance Fixation sprint slot
- Pick the coming sprint
- Create a PRD suggesting the solution with a lo-fi
prototype (for approval)
- Post approval, share the PRD to dev team for
implementation (with Visual Design)
- QA and test with a prospect member (not client)
- Iterations cycle/ push it in the release slot for
• New Product Functionalities (1-2 sprints/ 40-80 hours):
- Get the requirement from the director through BRD
- Quick sketch prototype for concept approval
- Create a PRD including Hi-fi experience flow, coverage
matrix and field list
- Share it for approval
- Test with QA on the solution validation
- Iterations (if any)
- Development Sprint
- Functionality Test
- Share for release approval
- Test with limited customers (A/B testing)
- Iterations cycle/ push it in the release slot for sales and
Example: Customer Grievance Fixation
JIRA's Ui have recently changed, however Zephyr for JIRA's UI remains as per the old JIRA. This is decreasing the user's efficiency in terms of learning two new UI interactions for a single job.
Solution Statement/ User Story
Go through the new JIRA styleguide and revamp the 'execution details page and the interactions within as per the guideline and with smooth interaction patterns. The following are the primary problems for the section to be solved:
Tree Structure, Execution Grid Structure, Quick view of Execution Details, Custom Fields, Execution Workflow.
• User Flow:
As a user, I want to check the execution details.
• Use Case:
Check Execution Details
PRD (with lo-fi wireframe)
The PRD contains lo-fi wireframe with flows (including the required dev effort)
Contact to know more
PRD for Dev team (with Visual flow)
The PRD contains Visual design with flows alongside the field-list and coverage matrix.
Contact to know more
Post approval from the QA and business team, the product moves for release slot from the business team (addressing the grievance requesters and marking as a bug improvement for other clients and prospects).
Example: New Product Functionalities
The summary of the detailed functionality requirement from business team is:
• User- A plugin within browser which will ease the video capture functionality while testing without the help of any screen video capture applications.
• Business- Ecosystem adoption while adding feasibility and improved efficiency
A lo-fi wireframe with flows as a reference for concept approval.
Contact to know more
A PRD with Hi-fi wireframes, Backend logic, API details, field list and coverage matrix.
Contact to know more
QA and Development Sprint
The concept validation from the QA team (with one-in-one call with high-value customers and moving it to development sprint with next release note.
Functionality Test and A/B Test Release
Post completion of development, the product went through a functionality test (with bug fixing, if any); and then moved to A/B beta testing with limited customers to check the product-market-fit.
The product went to the release slot for sales and marketing team to address the brand new functionality using various marketing medium.
Conclusion and Success Rate
Post 3 months data study from the customer grievance team (excluding 1st month):
• Increase in conversion rate (prospect to customer or direct customer) to 24%
• Reduced customer grievance rate on usability to 0.02%
Acquision and Success
Post 3.5 months, the product got acquired by SmartBear Software. Few of the metrics for acquisition being:
• 25% prospect conversion within a span of 3 months
• 15% increase in star ratings within a span of 3 months (JIRA
• 65% new prospect trials within a span of 3 months (JIRA
+91 90032 70430